Beginning Constructive Rest
by André Bernard
In the 1980’s, André Bernard composed and narrated audio tapes devoted to the practice of Constructive Rest for participants in his California workshops. The tapes were produced to encourage his students to continue their exploration of the imagery. Bernard’s original Constructive Rest narrations were donated to the Thinking Body Institute by Ruth Botchan, the sponsor of his workshops at Berkeley Moving Arts.
This audio session was designed for beginning students. Bernard began by providing a description of the Constructive Rest Position and introduced the “empty suit of clothes,” a collection of images originally developed by Dr. Lulu Sweigard. The empty suit images described in this session relate to the collapsing of the suit and the sand subsequently spilling out of various open seams in the suit, gloves and toe socks. The smoothing of the wrinkles in the back of the suit coat, the seat of the pants, the collar and various features of the spherical empty head were also described. Bernard’s original Constructive Rest narrations were created for cassette tapes. They were converted to MP3 files by the Thinking Body Institute in 2017, but improvements to the audio quality were not attempted.
Click the arrow in the player below to listen to a short sample of the audio.
About the Author
André Bernard (1924- 2003) was a professional actor who appeared in numerous New York City theater and dance performances. He also held a broad array of on-air positions with the National Public Radio Station (WNYC) in New York. He became a student of Barbara Clark in the late 1940’s and together they devised pedagogy for teaching Mabel Todd’s educational approach in group settings. Through his adjunct faculty position at New York University and private studio and academic summer workshops in California, Germany and Switzerland, his teaching was a major influence on the evolution of post-modern dance education.
Publisher: Thinking Body Institute Media LLC
Publication Date: 2017
Product Description: Mp3 Audio, 38:39 Minutes
File size: 14 MB
Please refer to these instructions if you are not familiar with purchasing downloads:
- Purchasing a Constructive Rest Audio File begins by clicking the ADD TO CART button at the bottom of this page.
- Another page will open, showing the product that you ordered and a green banner that invites you to VIEW CART. Click that button.
- The Cart Page will present a summary of your purchase, including your costs shown in US dollars. Your next step is to click the PROCEED TO CHECKOUT BUTTON.
- On the Checkout page, you will type in the information TBI Media will use to arrange for the download of the Audio File. Please confirm that you are aware of our Terms and Conditions.
- Your next step is to click the PROCEED TO PAYPAL button. Your payment transaction, including all matters related to the exchange of currencies, will be processed through PayPal. If you do not have a PayPal account, they also accept all major credit cards.
- Finally, PayPal will return you a page on the TBI Media online store website called TO FINALIZE YOUR PURCHASE, which includes your receipt and detailed instructions for downloading.